Thursday 5 September 2013

Scores and Feedback for Journal #1

Generally, I was really impressed by your first round of journals.  You guys have the right idea, and most of you are balancing analysis, quoting, and personal reflection in appropriate portions.   Because this is a "blog" system, you are welcome to read each what other students have to say, and in this regard I hope you learn more and come to appreciate different impressions.  However, I often feel as if I am reading the same things on different journals, and it is very much as if Student A read Student B's blog, and unconsciously regurgitated the same structure and approach, even using the same quotes.  Perhaps Student A was busy, or Student A needed a model to follow. In any case, I really do not want to feel that you guys are borrowing or rehashing.  You can reference other students and agree or disagree with them, but try and touch on new things if you've read them somewhere else.

Accordingly, because this is a blog system, I can easily copy and paste your work into certain filters and search engines, and find out if you've plagiarized.  I've caught several students doing so in the past, and I wasn't born yesterday.  Be aware that plagiarism pretty much puts a nail in the coffin if you intend to get an A, and it is very easy to detect with a digital, paperless method of submission.  This is another reason why I like paperless classrooms, and another reason why I like a bit of "personal reflection" in your journals.  Straight literary analysis is easy to regurgitate and plagiarize, but genuine opinion and reflection is not. 

Remember your secret names, and keep up the great work! The above is just a warning and explanation.  I think this is a great class so far.



Lovelace
88.80
Austen
92.30
Keats
91.00
Blake
91.20
Bronte
91.00
Kipling
90.20
Dickens
90.00
Chaucer
91.10
Orwell
91.50
Jonson
91.30
Tolkien
90.70
Carroll
90.90
Browning
90.80
Burney
90.80
Tennyson
91.70
Bacon
89.30

Average
90.79



No comments:

Post a Comment